Cleaning With Herbs

Homemade Household Cleaners

For a long time, I had a problem. Whenever I would clean the house and the bathroom I would come down with a huge headache, a cold, or I would feel nauseous. After years of feeling this way, who could blame me for not wanting to clean? Then I realized, maybe it was the cleaning supplies I was using? After looking at the ingredients and reading the side affects online of these cleaning products it was clear that they just had to go. Part of me bought all the lies that unless I used these products my bathrooms and counters would not be clean, especially if I did not use bleach.

So, I read around a bit and realized that by using simple ingredients I had around the house, like baking soda, vinegar, and salt, and by adding some herbs (which actually I had been using to make some medicines and body care products)and some essential oils, I could make great cleaning and wonderful smelling products. The smell of these cleaners are an extra bonus and therapy. Not only am I getting a workout by doing my cleaning, but aromas are their own type of therapy. Now I can clean and not be sick afterwards, but feel better about the choice of going green, and feel better about my pocket book too!

Porcelain Scrub
1/2 cup of baking soda
1/2 cup of borax
1/4 cup of salt
1 tsp. of alcohol (any alcohol will do)
1/2 tsp. of juniper essential oil

Combine the first three ingredients into a  plastic container. I use one that can fit my scrub brush into. A brush I use to scrub walls and floors of my tub area. Also, I usually triple this recipe to make a large amount that will last several months. In a small dish, mix together the alcohol and juniper essential oil.  Then pour this into your white powder mixture and stir well. When ready to use, dip your damp large scrub brush into your container or sprinkle some Porcelain Scrub onto a damp cloth or sponge and scrub away. This will not harm your porcelain.

Tea Tree Tub and Tile Cleaner
If you don't need a good scrub-down for your bathroom, but just a clean use this cleaner.
1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup liquid castile soap
1/2 cup of water
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon tea-tree essential oil

Combine the baking soda in a large bowl. Stir slowly until thoroughly mixed, then stir in the water (work slowly to avoid building a lot of lather). Add the vinegar and essential oil. Transfer the finished mixture to a squirt top bottle. When using, shake mixture gently and apply with a damp sponge to clean surfaces. Rinse thoroughly with fresh water to avoid leaving a residue.

Eucalyptus All-Purpose Kitchen Spray
2 tablespoons of white vinegar
1 tablespoons of borax
2 cups of hot distilled water
1/4 cup liquid castile soap
15-20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil

It is best to use distilled water with this formula because the minerals naturally present in tap water can hamper the product's cleaning ability. Also, make sure to combine ingredients in this formula exactly as directed; if the borax is not dissolved properly, it could clog the bottle nozzle (use a clear bottle, if possible, so you can see what's going on). Combine vinegar and borax in a 16-ounce spray bottle. Fill bottle almost to top with very hot distilled water and shake until borax is dissolved. Add the soap and essential oil, then cap tightly. Shake lightly to distribute the soap throughout the mixture.

Glass Cleaner
1/2 cup dried lavender flowers
1 1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water

This formula creates a sweet smelling product like the expensive herbal ones you buy in the store. 
Combine the lavender and vinegar in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Store in a cool dark place for about 2 weeks. Gently shake the jar gently every day or two. Then strain the mixture through a sieve. Transfer the vinegar to a spray bottle and dilute with 1/2 cup of water. Shake well and use as you would any other glass cleaner. I usually will keep a jar filled with vinegar and lavender flowers ready to use when one formula is used up. 

Eucalyptus Bathroom Sanitizer Spray
2 cups distilled water
1/4 cup vodka
1/2 tsp. of eucalyptus essential oil

Combine the water, vodka and essential oil into a plastic spray bottle and shake well. Lightly spray the surfaces you want to disinfect, then let air-dry.  

Essential oils and castile soap can be bought at Whole Foods or online. My two favorite places to buy herbs and essential oils are Mountain Rose Herbs (www.mountainroseherbs.com) and Frontier Coop (www.frontiercoop.com) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of a Well Crafted Sermon

My Love for Mint