Muffin in a Mug

Muffin in a Mug



Many of you know I have been battling with my weight for a long time. One thing that I have learned is that due to our American way of eating, many of us suffer from what is known as insulin resistance. So, I have been on a journey to find a way to cook for my family, many of whom suffer from more severe gut issues. A dear friend at church steered me to a book called Trim Healthy Mama.

The basis of the book is two types of meals. Each meal has its own fuel to burn, one being good fats, the other good carbs, but never the two shall meet! I was skeptical about the recipes they provided, for many of them looked so easy. The ingredients were not your common ones for many who have not yet tried to get rid of carbs, but for me, who lives at Whole Food, and who has been trying to get rid of certain flours for the past year, many of the ingredients I was at least familiar with. So I thought some of you might enjoy these recipes, and as I find ones I like I will share. They really do have some wonderful ideas and this first is so easy and so yummy!

Muffin in a Mug
1. Crack 1 egg into a coffee cup and whisk it well with a fork.
2. Add 1 1/2 Tbs. golden flax meal. Note: golden flax seed is pretty cheap, so I just ground some up in my Vitamix to make the meal.
3. Add 1 1/2 Tbs. almond flour
4. Add 1 heaping Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder.
5. Add 2-4 tsp. Truvia--this depends on your desired sweetness. Or you can add a few shakes of Nunaturals, or if you want to use regular sugar 1 to 1 1/2 Tbs. But for those wanting to go low carb do the Truvia.
6. Add 1/2 tsp. of aluminum free baking powder.
7. Add 1 flat Tbs. of coconut oil.
8. Stir vigorously
9. Microwave for 1 minute

From this point you can take it out of the mug, cut in half and spread with butter or you can eat it with some Greek yogurt, or for a dessert spray a little nonfat whip cream on top--so yummy!

Cinnamon Muffin: substitute 2 tsp. of cinnamon for cocoa and increase the flax meal to 2 Tbs.

Bannana Muffin: cut the cocoa out and use 2 Tbs. of golden flax meal and almond flour, add some chopped nuts and banana extract.

Gingerbread Muffin: substitute 2 tsp. of cinnamon and 1 tsp. of ginger for cocoa

Chocolate-Rasberry: eliminate the almond meal and add 2 heaping Tbs of dark chocolate cocoa powder along with 2 Tbs. of golden flax meal and add some rasberries as well. This muffin will be slightly gooey. 

This really is a wonderful quick breakfast if you eat it with some Greek yogurt. Once you have all the ingredients on hand, make up several bags of the dry ingredients, label, and you have quick breakfasts for you and your children. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of a Well Crafted Sermon

My Love for Mint