My Love for Mint

My Mint Garden
I love mint! I love the smell of it. I love the taste of it and I love the calming affect it has on me when I crush a leaf between my fingers. It makes wonderful syrups to add into drinks and a soothing tea for stomach and nerves. The plant is easy to grow and comes in many varietes. Peppermint is still the best for medicinal purposes and spearmint for drinks or syrups. So easy to grow and so many uses! I have grown mints in large pots for years, dividing them every so often when they become root bound, thus creating more mint plants. I put my pots in a sunny location and water daily during the summer. Since I am using these plants in recipes, I make sure I use organic fertilizers to feed the plants. I harvest them as they grow and when they become very overgrown, I harvest a large amount to dry for teas. I dry in my oven at 100 degrees and store in glass jars. I dont't crush the leaves until I use them. Here are a few recipes that are my favorites.

Tea for Upset Stomache or Calming Effect
1 part peppermint
1 part chamomile
Steep 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of herbs in 1 cup of 175 degree water for 10 minutes. Add honey to taste.
 
Mint Dacquiri
6 limes
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups water
5 large peppermint sprigs
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoon light rum
2 T. clear creme de menth

Squeeze enough limes to make 1/2 cup lime juice. Disslove the sugar in the lime juice and add the water. Adjust the taste with more lime juice or sugar. Soak the large sprigs in the limade, bruising the leaves a bit against the side of pitcher. Add the rum and creme de menth. Chill the mixture for at least 30 minutes. Serve on the rocks with a small sprig of fresh mint for garnish.

Mint Lemonade
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups water
3 oranges
6 lemons
1/4 cup of fresh spearmint leaves

Place sugar in saucepan; stir in the water. Heat over medium heat till sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool. Finely shred enough lemon peel to make 2 tablespoons. Set aside. Squeeze juice from oranges and lemons. You should have about 1 1/2 cups orange juice and 1 1/2 cups lemon juice. Add juices and peel to cooled syrup. Pour over mint leaves. Cover and steep for 1 hour. Strain mixture and pour into jars. Cover and refrigerate. Fill glasses with ice. Pour equal parts of water and syrup over ice and stir to combine. Makes abou 12 servings.

Mint Syrup
1 cup of loose spearmint leaves
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of water

Bring water and sugar to a boil. Remove from heat and add leaves. Cover pot and let syrup cool to room temperature. Strain into a clean container or squeeze bottle. This will last several weeks in the refrigerator. Put this syrup in teas and coffees and lots of other kinds of drinks!

Achy, Breaky Parts Bath
(use this for sore muscles, cold or flu
1 cup Epsom Salts
1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup of peppermint leaves
2 T sage
2 T pine needles, broken up
2 T euculyptis leaves
2 T lemon balm

Mix together and use 1/4 cup per bath. You can add lavendar, geranium, jasmine, or rose essential oil for scent. Put the mixture in a muslin bag or clean cotton sock and hang from the bath faucet as you fill the bath. During your bath you can untie it and use it to gently rub over skin. Finish off with a cool shower.

Herbal Liniment
Combint any of the following: Calendula flowers, chamomile flowers, eucalyptus leaves, lavender flowers, peppermint leaves, rosemary, thyme, or oregano

Chop herbs finely and place in a clean glass jar. cover thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and cap with a tight-fitting lid. Place the jar in a warm area and shake daily or as often as possible. After 4-6 weeks strain the herbs out using chessecloth and pour the remaining liquid into glass bottles with mister tops. When properly stored in a cool dark place the liniment will keep almost indefinitely. External use only!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of a Well Crafted Sermon