Bath Bombs


Sometimes I just want a little pampering at the end of the day. My skin feels rough from too much time in the garden and too much sun, and I just want a little whiff of something that smells like the plants I have been working with. In stores these bath bombs usually run around 3-4 dollars a piece, but believe it or not you can make them for around 75 cents a piece; a little less if you use inexpensive essential oils. Lavender, ylang ylang, and orange combination are my favorite. Peppermint can be invigorating and if you have a cold nothing beats eucyliptus! The following recipe will make around 12-16 bath bombs. I put mine in a large glass jar and set it by the tub, ready to throw one in when the mood strikes.

1 3/4 cups baking soda
1 1/4 cup citric acid (this can be ordered at Amazon)
2 cups cornstarch
2 teaspoons essential oil (any combination)
1/2 cup sea salt
2 1/2 tablespoons jojoba oil (any oil will do, but this one is best for dry skin;this can be ordered online or found Whole Foods)

In a medium sized bowl place all dry ingredients and mix together with hands. Sprinkle in the essential oils and the jojoba oil and again, mix with hands. Using a spritzer bottle, slowly add a few spritzes of water at a time, mix with hands and check consistency. You are looking for something that sort of holds together when you squeeze it. This mixture will harden when it dries.

Once the mixture reaches the right consistency press it into any type of mold you wish. I used a decorative mini cake tin that makes 12 large bath bombs at a time. Any leftovers I will put into muffin tins. This does take a bit of time because you need to press quite firmly and slowly add the material. I found that my large wooden muddler (a drink making tool) to press down the mixture. It does a beautiful job of making uniform bath bombs. Let them dry for 24 hours then un-mold and let them dry for 2-3 days before placing them in a decorative container.

When you want to use one, just place it in the tub and watch it fizzle away!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of a Well Crafted Sermon

My Love for Mint