Bug Off

Homemade Citronella Candles


I spent a little time this Spring spritzing up my patio, so I want to spend some time there. Besides the heat that settles in the South the mosquitoes come out to drive one quickly inside. You need something to keep them at bay, but who wants chemicals ruining the humid fresh air? Searching the internet I saw many people made their own candles with all natural soy wax and citronella essential oil. Looked easy enough, so I went onto Amazon and ordered my supplies:
soy wax flakes (10 pounds), citronella essential oil, waxed wicks, some stickers that hold the wicks in place, and some reusable centering devices. I already had plenty of canning jars, not to mention some pretty colored ones I had been saving, so after receiving my supplies yesterday I was anxious to try out a recipe.

 I want to continue to make candles so I also purchased this melting pot with my other supplies. It was only 13 dollars and something I didn't necessarily had to clean. The wax came in nice flakes so I set up a double boiler and melted the wax.

While the wax is melting, place the wicks into the jars using something to anchor them. I used the handy stickers I bought. Then I used the metal centering devices made especially for canning jars.

The recipe called for only 4 drops of citronella essential oil per cup of wax, but I added lots more than that. Per cup of wax I added the following:
16 drops of citronella
16 drops of lemongrass
16 drops of eucalyptus
16 drops of rosemary
16 drops of spearmint

 The oils above are all the ones various bugs can't seem to tolerate. So I added them all.
There was one recipe for a bug spray that called for all of those essential oils added to witch hazel. I made some of that as well today and used that recipe for my reference for my candles.

So after the wicks are in place and centered, the essential oil has been added to the jars, pour the melted wax up to within 1/2 inch from rim. After the wax has cooled cut the wicks to 1/2 inch.


The above spray bottles were bought online from Mountain Rose Herbs. I use them for all kinds of homemade products. They come in handy for my homemade bug spray:
4 drops citronella essential oil
4 drops lemongrass essential oil
4 drops rosemary essential oil
4 drops eucalyptus essential oil
4 drops spearmint essential oil
1/4 cup witch hazel

I figured that each candle cost between 2 and 3 dollars to make, depending on size. In stores they cost between 15 and 25 dollars. I am looking forward to using a chemical free product this summer on my little patio in hopes of a bug free, bite free environment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of a Well Crafted Sermon

My Love for Mint