Homemade Irish Cream


I have always treated coffee like a dessert. One Christmas season I bought myself a bottle of Baileys Irish Cream to serve my guests with their coffee. My children and I were hooked on this creamy concoction.  But a bottle of Baileys Irish Cream can set you back well over 25 dollars, and I thought, why not try and make my own? It was so much easier than I thought and cost well under my dear bottle of Baileys. I was able to use organic products and make it to my liking...and I loved the results!

Irish Cream
2 egg yolks
2 cups Sweetened, Condensed Milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons Chocolate Syrup (see a recipe below)
2 tablespoons strong, brewed coffee
1 tablespoon good vanilla
1 teaspoon Amaretto
2 cups good Irish whiskey



1. In a large glass mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks for a minute until pale colored. Add the sweetened, condensed milk, cream, chocolate syrup, coffee, vanilla, and almond extract, whisking until completely combined.
2. Add the whiskey, whisking to combine.
3. Pour into glass jars, using a funnel if needed. Cap tightly and store in the refrigerator for several weeks.


If you don't want to add the uncooked egg yolks you can leave them out, it still takes great, but they do add a bit of richness.

Chocolate Syrup
1 1/2 cups whole cane sugar
1 cup cocoa powder (raw and organic if possible)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup filtered water
2-3 tablespoons strong coffee, brewed

1 tablespoon vanilla

1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt, whisking to combine. Pour the water over the mixture and whisk as you turn on the heat. Keep whisking until the dry mixture is whisked into the water.
2. Heat the mixture over medium high heat, whisking occasionally, until it reaches a simmer. Let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes, taking care that the sugar is completely dissolved and that the mixture thickens up a little.
3. Remove the chocolate syrup from the heat and set on a hot pot holder. Add the vanilla and the coffee, whisking to combine.
4. Let cool for about 30 minutes. Then pour into glass jars and cap tightly. Store in the refridgerator.


A New Hot Chocolate
1 oz Irish Cream
1 oz Creme de Menthe
6 oz hot chocolate
1 oz whipped cream

Pour the irish cream and creme de menthe into a coffee mug, and stir. Add hot chocolate, and top with whipped cream. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings and a maraschino cherry if desired, and serve.
And by the way, you can make your own creme de menth too. I'll let you know how that recipe turns out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of a Well Crafted Sermon

My Love for Mint