New to Knitting

Knitting Dishcloths
About a year ago my sister gave me these beautifully knit dishcloths. At first I didn't know they were dishcloths, I thought maybe trivets? Well, I finally got up the nerve to use them and have been doing so for over a year now, and I was pleasantly surprised how well they have held up! Of course, I had only four of them and wanted more in my new color scheme. My sister Kathy was busy with her home farm business and yarn business, so I thought: how hard could knitting a dishcloth be? And, what a wonderful way to learn to knit, on something that didn't need to be exact, but you could learn the basics and go from there....so the knitting has begun. I bought some needles, size 7 for dishcloths I found out, some 100% cotton yarn (this yarn is machine washable) and a book of various knitting patterns for dishcloths and went at it.

My first one of course was a bit rough and did NOT look like the pattern when done, but have already put it to good use and it works great despite its course appearance. I did learn my knit and pearl stitch, how to cast on and how to bind off. So I began my second one with higher hopes. It is pictured below. It still has some errors: I forgot what row I was on when using the pattern and did not guess right, but other than that it seems to have a resemblance to the pattern I was using...so that one will go into use today. The basket pictured below was made by one of my other sisters about 15 years ago. I emptied it of my cross stitch project, long ago abandoned, and filled it with my knitting supplies. Isn't it the cutest? I still wish she were making these I would commission her for another one.

So onto other more challenging patterns...and there are plenty!

My second dishcloth

A Better Look at My Sisters Basket

Comments

  1. Dishcloth looks great! Looks like your tension is nice and even. The trick to knowing where you are in a pattern is learning to read your stitches. That takes a bit of practice. As you are knitting, try to notice and memorize what the stitch below the one you are knitting looks like. So if you are knitting a purl, is the one below it a purl as you are looking at it? If you are knitting a purl, purl, knit, are the ones below a knit, knit purl? If you get into the habit of reading your stitches at the beginning, you'll be able to pick up your work and know where you are in the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips. I have had fun learning some different patterns this week just by doing dishcloths and have come to recognize some of the various stitches...even tried a headband with a lace pattern to it. Knitting is addictive!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of a Well Crafted Sermon

My Love for Mint