A Journey into Pastels

Texas Wildflowers

9x12 Water Color and Pastel
 
When I was young, around high school age, I began painting in water color. All through high school and college I struggled to learn that medium on my own. There were a few times I could afford lessons, so I took them, pleased to make a little progress. When photography took center stage in my life, I left painting behind. When my children came along and homeschooling entered into the picture I tried to paint again in journals documenting the flowers along our country road. But life kept getting busier and busier and the paints went away again. Now that the children are all but grown I find a little window of opportunity opening up and I am taking it! 
 
What I love about this new world we live in is that we have access to all kinds of knowledge and tools just a click away. We can shop for supplies, watch a video or two about a problem we may encounter in our work and just spend some time learning! One thing I have discovered is the resurgence of pastel painting in the Degas style and the use of underpainting to enhance them: enter water colors. Water colors have a beautiful quality about them that cannot be matched with oils and so do pastels. What a great combination! And so added to my oil journey is the pastel one as well.
 
There is one particular women's work that inspired me to pick up the pastels. Her name is Karen Margulis. Check out her blog--there are some wonderful things happening there and get inspired!
 
So here is my first try using a photograph I took while camping in Copper Breaks, Texas. When we travel out West this is always our first night's stop.
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of a Well Crafted Sermon

My Love for Mint